This is not a post on how to do your makeup and hair to look better. Let me explain how much I didn’t like taking photos with my face in them; I skipped my Cap and Gown pictures day and didn’t submit a photo for the University Yearbook.
So after trying all the hair and makeup hacks, I realized I needed to deal with this on a deeper level. I needed to like who I was and not what I looked like. Easier said than done, right?
It took years of trial and error, things that worked and things that didn’t. Here’s a list of what I learned on my journey to love myself more:
- Don’t do things to leave certain impressions, you lose yourself in the process
- Don’t try to fit in by being like everyone else
- Some people are just mean, it’s not about you really
- Don’t give up on things just because you’re afraid of failing
- Your family loves you, be good to them
- Do NOT accept abuse under any circumstances
- Being rude is not funny, it’s annoying
- Be kind as much as you can and as often as you can, you will need that back
- God really does have a better plan
It always feels easier to move in the same direction even if it’s not leading anywhere. It wasn’t easy going through all the changes and admitting my mistakes. I made a lot of friends and lost a lot more, but I think it was all necessary to reach this point in my life, where I feel truly blessed and grateful for who I am and what I have been through.